Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Research that turned into splurging. OH NO!

So I've been thinking about starting up this blog for like months. But for some reason I kept putting it off. Finally after a couple of weeks of fabulous holiday with my beloved family, an inspiring chat with a good friend and a great support from darling hubby, it got me thinking. What am I waiting for? What am I afraid of? So I decided to give it a go and see what happens.

Earlier today I decided to go to my favorite lifestyle store and boutiques to see what's new out there. Saw loads of beautiful purses in all shapes and forms, winter scarves in oh so snugly cashmere & silk and lots and lots of boots. I was in retail heaven. Walking around, browsing and jotting down some notes, I was mesmerized. I was so proud of myself for managing to stay focus and do exactly what I set out to do i.e. research. UNTIL my eyes wandered to a small window display just outside one of the in-house boutique within the lifestyle store. The boutique in question is none other than Gucci. Now, the last time I bought anything Gucci was gifts for darling hubby. Got him a beautiful silk & cashmere scarf and a wallet ( Lucky him. He was still a BF when I gave him. He still uses the wallet 5 years on though I could not say the same about the scarf. That's another story.)

Anyway, the window display showcased the most eye catching little bag I've ever seen. I could have sworn I've seen it before. It was a small bag with long chain that could be worn across the body, khaki/military greenish/brownish (hard to describe) and the icing on the cake was the leather. It's ostrich. And it is absolutely G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. I marched straight in and luckily for me there wasn't anyone there. I mean no other customer. Yay! The SA smiled and said hello and very calmly (was really hard when my heart was racing with excitement) I asked about the little gem. She looked delighted and immediately retrieved the bag from the window display. Very carefully she put it down on the glass cabinet and my heart stopped, well almost. I was in love. And I immediately remembered where I've seen it before. It was on Style.com on supermodel Karlie Kloss on the runway. I asked the SA and she confirmed that the little bag was indeed shown on the runway show. She was actually surprised that I even know that. Now I don't browse Style.com every day but probably every other day but I do read and browse fashion websites, blogs and magazine every day. It's a hobby of mine.

Anyway, back to the little gem, I still could not believe it was the same bag and it was within my reach. I tried it on across the body and it was stunning. I couldn't stop smiling. The SA couldn't stop smiling. I think both of us were thinking the same thing. It was PERFECT. Feeling very very happy, I finally asked the price. Oh My Gosh! Really! For a little bag. I mean it was really tiny. Granted it was made of ostrich skin, hence the hefty price tag. I paid more in the past for a bag but it was for a so much bigger bag. I was hesitating, whether to follow my heart or my head. Sensing my hesitation the lovely SA showed me an alternative. The same bag but with a plain black calf leather. It was almost half of the price of the little gem. But it was what it was. Plain. There was no wow factor. I did not feel anything at all. To be polite I tried it on, again across the body. Nothing. No excitement, no racing heart. Nothing. This is exactly why my dear hubby thinks I'm nuts , LOL. I gave back the plain, black little bag. At that moment the SA mentioned that they only got 2 of the ostrich version in the store. One on the display and one in the stock room. And guess what, without any hesitation I immediately said 'I'll take it'. And that was the end of it. Yay!

p/s: Haven't told darling hubby yet about the little gem. I think I'll wait for a few days. Hehe..

No comments:

Post a Comment